Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Imaginings

The thing I love most about the mobile industry is the fact that it continues to prove people wrong.

There were times (and some still live in those times) where we couldn't fathom all the things that we now do with our mobile phones.

Imagine a world where I can make phone calls from anywhere, with NO wires.
Imagine a world where I can send messages to my friends without having to ring and disturb them.
Imagine checking the weather, movie times and bus timetables when I'm out with friends.
Imagine doing my emails on the train to work without having to unfold my laptop.
Imagine having one device in my pocket that can play my music, take photos, surf the internet, make phone calls and show me on a map where I am and where to go.

Madness I tell you, madness.

What about watching the news or other TV programs, live without having to be in front of my TV
What about messaging my friends in real-time instead of asynchronous messages back and forward
Buying things with my phone instead of carrying a wallet
Checking my bank balance without going to a cash-machine
Projecting a screen and keyboard from my phone instead of carrying a laptop

GSM connections took 12 years to reach 1 billion, a further 2.5 years to reach 2 billion and 22 months to grow to 3 billion. That is the fastest growth of any industry, ever.

Where will we be in 10 years?

No comments: